28 July 2008

Mad Women

I'm not usually one to watch a lot of television shows but I've found one that is an exception. Last summer I got sucked into the beautiful world of AMC's Madmen. Set in the early 1960's the show follows a group of Madison Avenue ad men through their daily lives. The sets and decor of the show are absolute perfection. Every scene is rich in color and textures and every detail has been thoroughly thought out. The very best part, however, has to be the wardrobe; men in trim suits and hats, women in fancy dresses and gloves, children in petticoats and patent leather shoes. While the men are impeccable it's really the women in their lives that grab my attention.


Joan, the office vixen and head secretary is always seen in body hugging dresses in rich jewel tones.



Peggy, the ambitious up-and-coming ad woman, plays it conservative for her office job.



Betty, the dutiful, long-suffering wife with a dark side, is seen in New Look silhouettes and pretty day dresses.

6 comments:

AlicePleasance said...

I know, I know! With my adoration for late 5s/early 60s I fell for Mad Men too and I also posted about it awhile ago! So from yesterday it should be finally back in the US...I don't know how long I'll have to wait in Italy...

Sarah M. said...

I think their wardrobe is one of the main reasons I watch the show, however not having the ideal silhouette for that part of the decade is somewhat discouraging. This is always made harder when I see Joan's wonderful curves... poo

h. said...

I knew about the buzz but didn't think much of it until last night when . . . the season two premiere sucked me in. I've gotta agree the glamour on this film is over-the-top wonderful.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Joan is amazing. My sister says that the show is fulfilling stereotypes of women from that decade, but I find them much more layered and fascinating than the men. I wonder if they will introduce any new, important characters this season...

Some Like it Vintage.com said...

Love this show, and the season premiere was fabulous! The producers work very hard to make every detail accurate for the time...from the clothes, to the ice cubes in the cocktail glasses.

Eyeliah said...

Love the Vixen's look. It's kinda racy for the office, suprised she gets away with it.