02 February 2009

Plaid Skirt - Four Ways

After yesterday's little Dear-Abby themed rant (sorry about that, I was a little pissed), I figured I'd take it one step further and play my own little game of Dear Sally Jane. I often receive questions from readers and I try to answer them all but I'm admittedly not as good about that as I should be. So... today I'm going to address a recent question by doing one of my Four Ways posts.

Dear Sally Jane,
I need some advice and I thought you'd be the right person to ask...how exactly do you wear plaid skirts without looking too much like a school girl? I bought a high-waisted tweed skirt and I have no clue what to do with it! I've paired it with lots of sweaters and shirts, but nothing looks right. I hope you can help :)
Signed,
Sam

Dear Sam,
Indeed, a plaid skirt always runs the risk of looking a little school-girlish but when paired with the right tops and accessories it can be sophisticated and mature. I like to wear my plaid skirts with neutral tops in browns, blacks or navy. A military inspired blazer or vest is a good option as is a pretty lacey blouse. A belted cardigan works on cooler days. And if you don't want to come across as a school girl, you can always be the school librarian, right? Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Sally Jane
Untitled-1

25 comments:

Meaghan Kelly said...

everything you wear always looks perfect!

The Sexy Pedestrian said...

Hat and waistcoat, all the way.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for replying, I appreciate it! I really like the first two looks. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off as well as you do.

Siru said...

You're good in what you do!

juliet xxx

caitrĂ­n said...

i absolutely adore your four ways posts!!

Meredith said...

I love the last look, your hair looks so cute like that. Do you use Photoshop for your photo borders, or a different program I haven't heard of? Thanks :)

Blair said...

Great advice! The third look is definitely my favorite. :)

<3

flair to remember said...

great idea/great post! your four ways are fantastic!
xx

ren said...

I do enjoy seeing how one certain item can be worn in different ways. Great outfits.
;)

Eyeliah said...

yay, a four ways it's been awhile. :-) don't worry about the last post, sometimes we just need to let it out.

Paula Ferrary said...

Hummm!beautiful!

Unknown said...

Nice! I have a plaid skirt I might be inspired to rethink now!

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

sally jane, you are a lady of many hats. i'd like to see a post on 'the hats of sally jane'!

Anonymous said...

Each outfit is fabulous! You look splendid in hats! I adore plaid and your skirt is especially wonderful!

I love vintage/ fashion Q & As! Very fun and helpful!

Lexie said...

those glasses tickle me every time!

pigeon.toed said...

i love that first look! great job!

Anonymous said...

the hats really make the skirt stylish

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! All such great inspirations, you always look ladylike but not dowdy.

AlicePleasance said...

Oh wow! 4 perfect outfits!!

I have something for you in my blog :-)

Anonymous said...

i really enjoy your 4way-posts. i hope you would do them more often!! plus: all of the 4 looks are amazing. and i love the brickwall in the background!

Sasha Foster said...

these looks are super inspiring! I just got a 50's reversable kilt so I deffinately got some ideas of how to put it to good use!
thanks

Karafina said...

love your 4 way posts...

indigorchid said...

Excellent! I might have to bookmark this for future reference! Your outfits are always so inspiring, and it is just great to see you do one garment several ways (I'm always a sucker for those in the magazines..!) May I cross my fingers that there will be more of these?

devaneante said...

Great choices ;)

Vergangenheitshang said...

The 3rd outfit is my favourite.