29 March 2009

Saturday Estate Auction

For a while now I’ve wanted to expand my vintage shopping horizons. Yes, I frequent all of the thrift stores and vintage stores in my area but I know there’s a whole world of estate sales and auctions that I’ve never gotten into. I just didn’t know where to begin! Thanks to a tip from the super sweet Morgan from Ambrosia’s Musings I attended my very first estate auction yesterday morning. [a]
When we first pulled up to the barn (it was out in farm country) all I saw were piles of old rusty tools and farm equipment. Uh, oh! Were we in the right place? We wandered into the barn to find tables full of old pottery, figurines, silver and linens. There were lots of things that caught my eye: vintage canning jars, art deco planters, stacks of 1920’s Vogues, stuffed animals that had the fur loved right off of them. I knew I had to keep focused or I was going to end up going home with a car load full of stuff! Then I spotted it in the back corner of the barn. A rack full of lovely 40’s and 50’s dresses surrounded by stacks of hat boxes, purses and shoes. I fell in love with all of them instantly then had to remind myself that there was still bidding to be done.

Nearly four hours later, after countless tools, jars and tchotchkes were auctioned off, one by one by one, they finally, finally started auctioning off the vintage clothes. I was super nervous and eyeing the crowd to see who might be bidding against me… very different than the anonymous world of Ebay! The first dress up was an adorable Bobbie Brooks mini dress that I knew I wanted to buy. Luckily only one other person bid and I was able to snatch the dress right up. I was feeling a little more confident after that and was able to snag most of the pieces I had my eye on. I’m happy to say that most of that rack of clothes in now hanging on my “to be sold rack”. Yay! I’m sure I’ll be looking into going to more auctions and estate sales now that I’ve got one under my belt.

P.S. I just put a few more items in the Etsy Boutique!

[b]
photos by Tom b.

17 comments:

alissa said...

this gives me some confidence to go to some sales! looks like you found some great things!

morgan said...

:-) Looks like you came away with some lovely pieces!

Cedar said...

Wowee, looks like a lot of fun. I adore estate sales, but have not been to an auction before. I will definitely have to look into finding some!! Great scores!

Rebecca said...

Wow, that sounds exciting! I've never been to an auction style estate sale.

DejaBlonde Vintage said...

I have yet to attend an auction style estate sale but I really really want to. I like you did not know where to begin. Those finds are beautiful!

gladys said...

Sounds like a great sale, rather jealous as we don't have estate sales in the UK at the moment.

Jules said...

Great found.;D
And on auction estate sale,you will find great pieces sometimes..;D
Sounds great!=)

Josephine Frances said...

Sounds like fun! I have no idea where you would find out about an estate sale, I've never even heard of one before in Australia!

lauren said...

congrats! i have been to countless estate sales, but never an auction, scary! my mom hits them up so i think someday i'll tag along with her and learn the ropes!

Anonymous said...

I've always been really intimidated by the idea of estate sales too but you make it sound like such fun! I'm going to keep my eyes peeled so I can give it a go. (Well done on your restraint, too!)

AlicePleasance said...

Sounds great! We don't have these things in Italy too. Of course...we don't even have garage sales or thrift stores!

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments!

It was all pretty exciting. Now that I've done it once I think I'll be better at it next time. I can't wait to go to another one!

Unknown said...

Awesome, it looks like a good one! I always love the crazy kitschy figurines that seem to be at EVERY SINGLE estate sale ever! What is it about old ladies and their ceramic puppy collections?

tdw said...

Very beautiful page. I love your photos and your articles.

alexandra grecco said...

sounds lovely! xx

Rebecca Jane said...

I have always wanted to go to estate sales/auctions... looks like you found some great stuff/potentials

Veronica said...

Estate sales are sooo fun.