20 April 2009

The Professor's Collection

The Professor's Collection
A couple of weeks ago when I attended my first estate auction there's one little detail that I left out. I couldn't be 100% that it was a sure thing and I didn't want to jinx anything by saying something sooner. When I was done bidding and trying to figure out how to pay for all of my dresses I was approached by a sweet lady that had noticed I was buying a lot of vintage clothing. She mentioned that she had a house full of vintage clothes she had inherited and didn't want to keep and wanted to know if I would be interested in coming over and taking them off of her hands. I couldn't believe my luck and quickly took her number with plans to call her soon.

On Friday afternoon I finally had an appointment to go to her house and look through the collection. Turns out when she bought the house she's living in, everything was left in it including the entire wardrobe of the woman that had lived there. The house had belonged to a woman that was a professor at a local university and she was quite well dressed! I ended up buying nearly 50 dresses, skirts and blouses from the 40s-60s and we have plans to get together again for more. I'm also going back once the weather turns cool to look for coats.

I was good and only put one dress and one blouse aside for myself and everything else, included all of the dresses you see snippets of here, are going to be sold. I was hoping to get out and take photos today (I have something special in mind for this collection) but it's raining this morning so I might have to wait a day or two. I plan on having the first batch ready to go into the Etsy boutique on Sunday night (the 26th).
The Professor's Collection

37 comments:

Meaghan Kelly said...

holy moly! i couldn't be more excited to see these up in your shop, or to find out what your creative mind has come up with for this collection!
what luck you have!!!

kerri said...

wow, awesome to say the least! xx

Stephanie said...

That is so cool! Can't wait to see these in your store.

daily coyote said...

You are so clever - I love these "preview pics"! And - what a score!
~ S.

13bees said...

you got to live out my dream! congrats!

Helen said...

you are so lucky to get all these for free! and then making a profit on them! i would have been too tempted to keep more for myself though hehe

ramona west said...

i'm jealous :)

dani said...

how exciting! I've put the 26th on my calendar!!!

Casey said...

What an enchanting story! I'm so excited to see these lovely frocks in full...

Unknown said...

That's so awesome you lucky thing!! Love being in the right place at the right time!

Grace said...

You hit the jackpot!

Gorgeous blog. I don't know if you exchange links. But either way I am linking you!

Love. Gracie.

erin said...

i cant wait to see everything in the store! and your plan for the collection!

Cynthia said...

I can't wait to see all these dresses! This is so exciting!

Rebecca said...

Oh wow.. what a great surprise! :)

corrie said...

Amazing, you've struck gold. I'm excited to see more.

Missa said...

WOW! What amazing luck! The first two look absolutely perfect. Also, I'd love to see which two items you decided to keep, they must be incredible :)

allison said...

OH MY GOD MY DREAM. I've always dreamt of finding a sweet old lady to give me all of her things, or to stumble across a house full of vintage clothes and shoes!!! You are the luckiest. Can't WAIT to peruse your new collection!!!

Lexie said...

oooh! exciting! and the luck!

Freddie said...

oh my goodness- lucky lucky you! I cannot wait to see them all either :o

Anna said...

this is something i've always dreamt about! congrats on the tresure chest full of vintage goodness^^

Vintage Rose Clothing said...

What lovely little dresses! I'm soo jealous! Especially that little one with the lace trim... hopefully that one's in my size.. :)

The Greedy Seagull said...

You find the best stuff, makes me want to move to PA! I love your blog and check it all the time; I would love it if you come check mine out when you have time! It's just a baby, but I have high hopes for it!

alissa said...

wow! nice timing - thats so cool! i cant wait to see them

kater said...

Ooooooh, I will be waiting for them to go up with hot little pennies in my hands! Haha, and what a nice lady!

Endless Vintage said...

Amazing! I'm so jealous. I had an opportunity to do this at my sister's mother-in-law's house but i only got to go AFTER she got rid of most of it. :( SO sadddd.

melly said...

really looking forward to this store update, so many pieces look good (:

Victoria Thorne said...

oh my god...it's like something out of a movie...maybe you should make one, now? this is just marvelous, they are amazing, your photos: lovely.

beautiful blog, can't wait to keep reading.

gracie said...

oh my.. cant wait cant wait!!!

kulululu said...

great!! i love that collection

Siru said...

Omg! That in kind of things happen in life? Amazing!

esme and the laneway said...

Oh, that's so exciting! I can't wait for them to go up, as I am v. interested – especially in the grey one..! What a score!

Violet Folklore said...

What a sweet sweet score! I *love* that about being a vintage collector/seller- you never know what random synchronicity is going to bring you into contact with beautiful old clothing.

And the little preview pics are just what you meant them to be- very enticing!

~Amber

Violet Folklore said...

What a sweet sweet score! I *love* that about being a vintage collector/seller- you never know what random synchronicity is going to bring you into contact with beautiful old clothing.

And the little preview pics are just what you meant them to be- very enticing!

~Amber

Karen said...

OMG that is amazing, congrats! i will be stalking your store.

Jenni said...

I'm so jealous! I want to dress like a stylish 50s professor...

platformshoesandwintercoat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isabel said...

What a great story! I love to hear when things like that happen. :)