29 January 2010

Finders Keepers

Untitled-1

I'd made a sort of late unofficial New Year's resolution to take more daily outfit photos. I was doing good this week until the temperatures plummeted back into the teens with wind chills in the single digits. I just can't do it! Instead I thought I'd show you a few things that have made their way into my closet lately. Think of it as an if-I-was-going-to-do-an-outfit-post-this-is-what-I'd-be-wearing post.
  • I was good and sold most of the 60s dresses I'd been collecting in the shop last week. But these two have made a semi-permanent place at home in my closet. The brown and plaid one may end up in the shop because I haven't really worn it yet except to try it on and it may be a smidge too big for me. The yellow one is seriously yellow. Like crazy bright yellow. I haven't gotten up the nerve to wear it yet but it might be just the thing I need to cheer me up when the cold is gettin' me down. Mostly I love them because they both have the most important thing a dress can have... pockets!
Untitled-2

  • I found a really lovely navy and white polka dot chiffon blouse at a thrift store last week. It reminded me a bunch of the Fletcher for Lyell one except even better since these dots are tiny. But I'm super picky about the fit of things, especially across the shoulders and this one was just a bit big on me. I racked my brain and finally came up with an answer. I added a bit of ruching across the top of the shoulder seam and then pressed the gathers down with another stitch running across the top the gathers. Now it fits wonderfully across the shoulders and has pretty little gathers too.
  • No explanation needed on this one: a floppy straw hat to wear with sundresses once the weather warms up.
  • And this is a pair of 30s looking oxfords that I'm pretty sure were made in the 60s. I love the detailing across the toes. If I dig deep enough into my closet I probably already have a pair similar to these. In that case I'm sure this pair will end up in the shop as well.

19 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love the yellow dress! And I agree with you about pockets on dresses...

Tinkertripper said...

And I think those shoes are perfect for a gentleman!
I like your blog, I'll follow you (as a vintage lover)
Cheers!

http://adorablebones.blogspot.com/

AlicePleasance said...

The hat is marvellous!!!

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

Love the oxfords! I've been on such an oxford kick lately!!

Alyssa said...

love the dresses especially. they look so fun to build tons n tons of outfits upon!

Tanglewood Baked Goods said...

If you find your oxfords, I sure hope these ones happen to be a size 9.5! Love that straw hat.

tess said...

You can tell you're in PA sometimes, the hat seems a little Amish haha

Sunshine said...

i have those shoes!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunshinelovesyou/2584078830/
mine are defly from the 30s, w goodyear wingfoot logo rubber heels. why do you think yours are from the 60s? maybe they just got new soles? i love them and wear them all the time. great find

M. said...

that navy blue polka dot shirt is so pretty!

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi!!

Love to blog... and your style!!!

<3 <3

Ana said...

Love that yellow dress! I can't decide if it's good or bad that you're not selling it, because I would porbably need to buy it.

- Ana
http://www.ToilTroubleStyle.com

Rosie said...

That yellow dress is superb! Good solution for the polka dot blouse too!

the spectator said...

Bee.u.tee.full shirt.

Lexie said...

yellow is my favorite color, so that dress makes me smile real big!

Love_Again said...

Love that yellow dress!!!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

keep the yellow dress!

Q's Daydream said...

I adore the yellow dress!

Jessica said...

I love love love that dress. I want to see it on you! The pockets are awesome. If you ever decide to sell it I call dibs!

Sara Bethany said...

Mm. I must say I am a huge fan of both of those dresses! :) Especially the yellow one!
And yes, pockets are a must! ;)