23 January 2010

UO Spring

Untitled-3

I, like so many other bloggers, was quite taken with the latest Urban Outfitters catalog. It usually gets tossed into the recycling after a quick look through, but this one is filed away on my desk to keep. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with this store. On one hand it sometime seems filled with things I could thrift for a tenth of the price and the quality of the mass produced items is at times questionable. On the other hand, they continue to be one of my biggest guiltiest shopping pleasures.

For a while there it seemed as if they were heading into Alexander-Wang-worshiping territory and forgoing the lighter side of things but this spring collection really caught my eye. I wouldn't mind having all of the pieces pictured below in my closet. Especially those black 40s style sandals! Serious must have. I love shoes from the era but it seems every time I find a vintage pair they fall apart after a few wears. I never found the perfect boater hat last spring (they look too Amish!) but maybe this one would be OK. The little floral dress and the cream sweater are examples of things I think I could thrift something similar enough to make me happy. The little rose colored "silk" romper is lovely too. It kind of annoys me how UO will use the word "silk" in the title of an item and when you look closer it's actually made of polyester.

Hmmm... this post is giving me a bit of spring fever. I think I actually see a bit of sunshine peaking in my window. Better get out there before it goes away again!

Untitled-4

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

spring fever is hitting all of us, i think!

kollaps said...

I looove Urban Outfitters, but you're completely right about their price/quality ratio. Their clothes are way too expensive and their quality isn't always proportional. The new collection is just darling, though.

Charmalade said...

I find that UO seems so unreachable for me, due to their sometimes-exorbitant prices; but I do like the styling. So I agree, it's some give and take.

I love how those sandals look dark, yet still breezy with the holes peeking through.

http://charmalade.blogspot.com

Ollie Otson said...

I agree about Urban. I love going in there, it's one of my favorite stores to browse through, but I rarely come out with anything that is clothing. Most of their products fall apart at the seams or never seem to fit right, so I only get the truly discounted things. Luckily, they do have amazing sales.

However, for gag gifts and accessories, they're awesome. I always find little trinkets to add to friends' presents.

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

I've had my eye on that first shirt at the top left for SO LONG, I adore it. It'll probably be sold out by the time I have enough money for it though. That's what happened last time I tried to get it!

AlicePleasance said...

Ahah! I spent an hour this afternoon filling my virtual cart on the UO site...I want spring to arrive soon so bad!

periwinkle said...

those cream shoes are gorgeous

Maria Confer said...

This is one of there best seasons yet! I hope summer is just as awesome.

Lulu Letty

the spectator said...

The cream and tan shoes are my faourite plus the scooped neck white ruffly blouse in the center.

Rebecca (Dog-Eared) said...

ohh my god, peter pan collars and saddle shoes. LOVE!

Alyssa said...

I really like these choices. Seems like a very chic and charming line.

Thanks for sharing!

M. said...

ugh I love everything for this summer so badly, I love that romper

lovelove, M.
http://marissaexplains.blogspot.com

Rosie said...

Love that boater, if I'm unable to thrift one, UO is going to be a whole $35 richer...

Starr Crow said...

i'm with you on all of this. they did seems to being going in more of an edgy direction until now. so glad they've returned to the lighter, girly looks that all of us love so much!

Name said...

oh yes. i never find too much online, but once im inside the store i'd like to buy everything inside.
the peter-pan blouse has stolen my heart.

Lara said...

I think almost every blogger on my reader has posted this collection, even me. It is just so dreamy! I have already bought a hat from it and I plan to buy more. It is just too tempting

Capucine de Chocqueuse said...

The hat is super cool!

Susanne said...

same with me ... when I have a certain piece in my mind, I always try to find it Vintage first - but in half of the cases I end up buying a good "copy" at H&M or UO...
xx susanne

new blog:
www.leoparddress.blogspot.com

Raquel said...

it is a great collection!
x

Ashley said...

i completely agree. i actually used to work for UO years ago, and they really were leaning towards heavy rock n roll style. i absolutely love all of the feminine, vintage-inspired pieces for the spring!

Fabiola "Fab" said...

spring please come soon! lovely things always at UO!

Anonymous said...

Ok folks, regarding the black 40's sandals... I tried them on in a recent UO shopping excursion and I gotta say that I was so dissapointed! The material was pretty flimsy and I'm not sure if it was because I have a pretty narrow/regular foot or what, but I had to end lacing them super tight and they STILL managed to look odd and awkward! C'est la vie, I suppose. =(

Karen said...

I was pleasantly surprised by the UO catalog, too! I especially love the collared, mauve romper. I was also shocked to find a super cute, affordable pair of oxfords in Free People's most recent catalog. Affordable?! Free People?!