07 October 2010

Flea Market Shopping

1

Ever since my last post about Andreja and I going flea market shopping, I've been wanting to do a post about some of my favorite local flea markets. Several of you had questions about exactly where we were and wanted tips on the best places to go if you were ever in the area. I wanted to go back a second time and get some more photos before I wrote about it and we finally made our second trip this past week.

I can't believe I lived in this area for nearly three years before I finally made it up to the "antiques capital of the USA", Adamstown, PA. I wasn't sure what to expect on our first trip up, but I wasn't disappointed as we drove into the little town and both sides of the streets were lined with antique malls. Some looked like they were mostly furniture, some were sort of fancy, some not. I tend to like the not-fancy ones!

4

We intended to go to Shupp's Grove but it had been raining so most of the vendors still had the covers on their tents. If you visit their website be sure to check out their rockin' theme song! Since the we weather was ruining our chances for an outdoor adventure we headed over to the Mad Hatter instead.

According to the good ol' internets, the Mad Hatter is over 15,000 square feet of space with over 100 dealers. Sounds about right! The place is huge. One of the best stands, of course, belongs to my Etsy partner in crime Smilin' Gal Vintage (top photo). Kris had lots of pretty dresses and shoes and bags to look through. There is also Memories, sort of a store within a store that's piled high with vintage goodies. It's sort of an overwhelming space to walk into! That's where Andreja and I bought a few things last time we were there.

2

There were lots of things that tempted me at the Mad Hatter. That wonderful parasol was close to coming home with me. Also lots of old books, apothecary bottles, a collection of the sweetest stuffed animals, ceramic cats! And a creepy, creepy mask that would have been perfect for Halloween.

After getting lost in the Mad Hatter for a while, we drove down the road to Renninger's, another indoor market. It had more of a flea market feel than an antique mall. Not so many clothes to look at but lots of old hardware, dishes and photos. I ended up coming home empty handed on this trip but can't wait to go back again!

5

16 comments:

Unknown said...

That place looks amazing! I wish we had more stores like that in ABERDEEN! Totally Jealous!

Georgie
xx

http://styleprincessdiaries.blogspot.com

The Purse-a-holic said...

Very cute sweater/plaid shirt combo!

Jenni said...

This place looks fantastic! I swoon for the ceramic cats!

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

I've been to this place a few yrs ago...and I would love to be back soon....

Unknown said...

Cool post with some great photos! I always love going into antique and thrift stores to see what I can find. I have to admit, I used to collect the ceramic cats as a kid!

http://www.cvillefashion.com

hannah, heart city said...

oh gosh, ceramic cats and creepy masks! i simply must find a way out there!

giselaandzoe said...

my favorite thing to do!

LittleMy said...

With antiques, as with any used items, I always get a creepy feeling that there are ghosts living in them. How do you get over that? I bought a really nice lamp a few weeks ago, very old...the kind with gold-tone figures all around the base. Anyway I brought it home and immediately decided there was a ghost in it, and threw it out. Anyway, love your photos and post :)

http://oflittlemy.blogspot.com

J. Rene' said...

Looks fun, I can totally smell the store as I read your post. Like your hair up!

http://thewandererdiaries.blogspot.com/

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

I do love having a good rummage, this place looks like my kind of heaven

I second J. Rene - you have gorgeous hair down, but you do look so elegant on the times you wear it up

Samantha said...

I love looking around places like that, you can spend hours but not purchase anything! I don't know if its just me but I always feel really sorry for the stuffed toys :( haha

Kellie said...

This looks like so much fun! :D Look at all those ceramic cats, so cute! I'd be tempted to buy all of them!

Robin said...

That place looks wonderful I would have got that parasol, that mask is so freak'n creepy it looks like something out of that movie Alice Sweet Alice crrreeeeepeeeee yikes!

Tiffany's Small World said...

love going to flea markets!great post!


http://tiffanyssmallworld.blogspot.com

morgan said...

It's been a while since I've been up to Renniger's. There's one out in Kutztown too if you get a chance to go there. And, there's a really neat used furniture and home accessory place close by called GRQ Used Furniture: http://www.grqusedfurniture.com/

They're only open a few days a week, but they have great prices and (sometimes) goods stuff. But it's all about the hunt anyways =)

SAM. said...

so so envious! i wish we had more antique/vintage stores here