24 January 2011

Zap & Co.

sjv (8)

Thursday afternoon, after a pho soup lunch, I did a little walking around downtown and stopped into all of my usual spots. Of course no around town walk would be complete without a trip to Zap & Co. There was nothing unusual about the day and the store was brimming to the edges with vintage goodies as it always is. Little did I know that would be the last time I would ever be able to go into that lovely shop. Later that night the store caught fire and everything was lost. Not only was an amazing one-of-a-kind vintage collection lost, but worst of all, the owner was inside when the fire started and was badly burned.

I've had this post sitting in my drafts all day because I wasn't quite sure what to say about it all, but it felt strange not to say anything at all. It's one of those real-life things that makes blogging a bit tough. The loss of the shop has cast quite a shadow over the mood of downtown Lancaster. It was a landmark and a real treasure for the city.

19 comments:

Judy C said...

So sad. I hope the owner will be OK. I know you will miss it.

Anonymous said...

This really is so sad, it looks like a one of a kind sort of place. Hope the owner is doing ok too.

Pistachio said...

What a kind and sensitive post, I hope the owner will be okay. Hopefully time will heal everyone involved.

Rosaspina Vintage said...

I'm so sorry to read that Jennifer. I really wish the owner to get well soon, I can only imagine how hard it could be.

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

I saw this on the news...It's so sad..

Koko chan said...

That's horrible! I hope the owner heals quickly.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. I hope that both the owner and his business will recover speedily.

BB said...

so very sorry to hear this devastatingly sad news; i can only hope that in time both the owner and the townfolk can heal from this.

bex.

michelle said...

That is so so so sad. I was in Lancaster earlier this month & it was my favorite place on the whole trip! And it's awful about the owner... I hope everyone sends him lots of good vibes for a quick recovery.

Lexie said...

this is such sad news. i will be thinking of lancaster.

Anonymous said...

holy cow. I am in shock. I will send my best thoughts to the owner...he was an awesome guy.

Silvia said...

Awful. Well, look at it this way, at least you got a chance to be in the store when it was in all it's glory. Even if it's no re-opened, you'll always remember it.

Mandi Johnson said...

Wow! That is so sad. A tragedy. And hoping that the owner is going to be okay.

Mandi Johnson said...

Wow! That is so sad. A tragedy. And hoping that the owner is going to be okay.

Honor said...

That's terrible news :(

viv said...

That is awful. I'm so sorry :(

Unknown said...

Oh no! This is so so tragic. I've only visited Lancaster once, and Zap & Co. was one of the places I went to. That shop was amazing. I am so saddened by this news and I will say a prayer for the owner.

I am just shocked :(

Diana said...

Oh no! How sad. Fires are so terrible.

Anonymous said...

oh, that's awful! we went there with you guys, right? & if i remember correctly, we stood in there talking with the owner for quite some time. i hate to hear it...