20 August 2007

When Fashion Meets Film

I recently ran across an article about the greatest fashion captured in movies. That got me thinking about what movies have influenced my way of looking at fashion. Below I offer my very own list of movie fashion infuences. Mind you, I do not in any way consider this a list of the greatest fashion on film, just the ones that have had an impact on me.




First, I should say that I am not a fan of musicals. There are a few exceptions – holdovers from childhood (“Grease” for instance). But I’d sooner blind myself than sit through a showing of, say, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”. Musical numbers aside, “Funny Face” has to be one of the greatest fashion films of all times. Audrey Hepburn channeling Suzy Parker, France Sinatra channeling Richard Avedon all the while dressed to the nines in every style imaginable, living in a dreamy mid-century modern world. Thank goodness for the mute button.



After she married Frank and before she got involved with Woody, Mia Farrow donned amazing little dress after amazing little dress all while battling the ultimate evil in “Rosemary’s Baby” . No one’s ever looked as cute while carrying the devil’s spawn.


Just as she did with “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”, Amy Heckerling created a time-capsule of a movie with “Clueless”, capturing all the nuances of fashion in the mid-nineties. I coveted all of Cher’s school girl dresses and knee socks. I still haven’t quite gotten over the knee sock thing.



In “Singles”, Bridget Fonda with her flannel, combat boots and fishnets epitomized my perfect high school wardrobe. I spent much of my adolescence in baby doll dresses and Doc Martens. I actually consider myself lucky to have grown up under the influence of grunge fashion; to have come of age at a time when being fashionable wasn’t about dressing in a revealing or overtly sexual way. I can’t imagine what it must be like for girls growing up under today’s fashion influences.


While fashion is not exactly a major topic in this movie, I couldn’t help notice Maggie Gyllenhaal’s bow-neck blouses and tailored skirts in “Secretary”. It was almost enough to make me want to get a job as a secretary just so I could wear the outfits. Minus the sadistic boss, of course.

No doubt the decade that is my biggest fashion influence is the 1960’s. I even love the 60’s interpretation of previous decades. Case in point, Faye Dunaway’s 30’s inspired wardrobe in “Bonnie & Clyde” . No one’s ever rocked a scarf and beret quite like Faye’s Bonnie. I go through a Bonnie phase at least once a year, every time the weather starts to cool.



I love the dreamy color-saturated world in which Audrey Tautou's Amelie resides. She has a timeless quirkiness to the way she dresses that, while I don't think it exactly works for me, I very much admire.

1 comment:

bee said...

great post! i am catching up on your blog...