12 November 2007

The Great Hair Debate

For a while now I've been riding a pendulum back and forth between cutting my hair or growing it out. My hair is longer now than it has been since I was oh, I don't know... thirteen years old? For years I kept it pixie short and platinum blond, then there were the shorter in the back longer in the front bob years and the latest transformation was from my natural blond to the reddish brown you see now. In other words, I'm constantly changing hair styles. I'm usually pretty impulsive when it comes to haircuts and color. I'll decide I want to change it and within a day or two it's done. I'm still growing out the bangs that I decided I needed a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I decided I needed bangs right that minute and just took a pair of scissors into the bathroom with me. This time I've promised my boyfriend that if I decide to go with bangs again, I'll let a professional do the snipping. Believe me, it's for my own good. So, with that said I'm introducing the very first Sally Jane Vintage should-I-or-shouldn't-I hair cut poll. Place your vote (upper right corner) and I'll let you know the results at the end of the week. Here are some photos of hair cuts I've been considering...


18 comments:

- jesse said...

I love bangs so I say go for it. I'm too impulsive with hair so can never get it to grow in -- after 3 months I always cut it into some sort of a bob again and if I have long bangs, I make them cut them shorter and...it's just a cycle. If I hadn't gone black I would probably changing the color still too but now it'd be too hard. Sometimes I lament boxing myself into a black bob but at least it's semi-versatile (you can shag it or blunt cut or whatever) and one of the more iconic haircuts to be boxed into.

Those cuts all have a lot of versatility to them.

Rhiannon said...

Another vote for bangs!

nitovuori said...

I would feel naked without bangs :). Your hair looks great now, but bangs would offer some not too drastic change which is always a fun thing in itself.

Londyn said...

I am also an impulse hair girl. Lovin the pics, so I say go for it!

Chocoholic said...

I went through the same debate earlier this year and decided to go for bangs. I love them. My haircut is very similar to the first picture though I am going to cut the length a little shorter than what I currently have. I love having bangs now.I vote bangs!

Sophie said...

Apparently we're both going for the same look! haha.

Go for it!

AlicePleasance said...

Bangs, me too!
I used to have bangs for years, now I have a "sided one" but I'm considering a Jane Birkin cut as well. Go for it, I'm sure you'll look great :-)

Anonymous said...

Go for the fringe a la kate moss with the layering around the face but long enough to pull back!

WendyB said...

I want to see photos of your old styles!

Sally Jane Vintage said...

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to show all my old hairstyles to the internet. We'll see! Some of them are pretty frightening in retrospect.

Unknown said...

Bangs are never, ever a mistake. Unless you're seven. But yes. All the styles are lovely and much like what I'm trying to get my hair to do. I figure I'm going to grow mine out until I have enough to get a boy haircut and donate the rest to locks of love.

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Wow! What an overwhelming response. So far it looks like I'm going under the knife. Or scissors, rather. We'll see how it turns out at the end of the week. If I end up with the cut, I'll be sure to post lots of photos. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

hey, I'm just an anonymous reader, but I thought it was funny that I have actually been thinking about changing my own long hair and I was thinking of using some of your pictures to show my hairstylist the layers I want. I love the way your hair falls! The like the bangs, though, and being rather impulsive myself, I say go for it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

'Ringo, Have A Banana' hair!

Flair said...

I agree with everyone - go with the bangs! I haven't had bangs in so long, I really want them now after reading this post.

Anonymous said...

kate moss

Anonymous said...

this is so weird... ive been thinking of getting bangs lately as well annnnd ive picked basically the exact same pics as you including that model on the urban outfitters site i saw it while browsing and i was like heeeyy thats cute. weird. i say go for it, i am.