19 November 2009

Vintage Finds to Keep

2

I feel like it's been a while since I showed you some of the things that have made their way into my closet. I've been pretty good lately, saving most everything I've found for the shop. But every now and then I'll let something slip through. They can at least hang out in my closet for a little while!

The two dress have fallen victim to the "needs buttons" pile by my sewing table. That pile is higher than I would like to admit. The first dress is a lovely 30s wool jumper with pleats that just melt my heart. And it's got the cutest little Scotty dog on the tag. I'm always a sucker for a cute vintage tag. It's missing two buttons and I can't seem to match them so I think I'm going to have to end up replacing all twelve. Luckily I have quite a stash of vintage buttons after exploring an abandoned coat factory a while back. The second dress is in perhaps my favorite color of the moment - a nice mustardy yellow. It doesn't need buttons replaced as much as it needs buttons rearranged. They're a little bit wonky don't cha think? Seriously, who sewed these on? After reading this post I think I'm finally motivated to get on the button sewing bandwagon so I can wear these before the seasons change again.

3

A while back I mentioned finding a collection of cashmere skirts at a vintage shop. There were three in all and this pretty purple one made its way into my closet (I've still got to list the other two in my shop). I love it but I'm torn about the length. It hits well below the knees and I think I might like it more if it were a bit shorter. I just can't bring myself to cut into the fabric. Seriously, it's the most luxurious thing I think I've laid my hands on. I wish I had some sort of tele-touch screen technology so you could feel it yourself. And it weighs a ton!

The last piece is a 50s-60s era riding coat that I found at the thrift store yesterday. It's a good thing I found it because otherwise I thought my head might implode right there in the Salvation Army. I guess that's what I get for trying to brave Half-Off-Family-Day. The place was packed and I'm not a fan of crowds! It was elbow to elbow in the dress section and I'm always paranoid that someone is going to find all the good stuff before I do. And to add insult to injury, I heard Miley Cyrus not once but twice while I was there. Luckily the trip was salvaged when I found the riding coat. It's far from perfect. Check out that stain on the arm! And there are a couple of small holes but nothing so terrible that a little TLC won't bring it back to life. Now I just need a pair of riding boots and a slick bun to do my best Betty-Draper-goes-riding impersonation.

18 comments:

FutureLint said...

That mustard dress is the sweetest thing ever! Totally agree on the buttons - so easy, so transformative, but surprisingly time-consuming!

AlicePleasance said...

Love the mustard dress as well! And the buttons on it are hilarious!!

Little Lost Treasures said...

Beautiful vintage finds! The blue dress is so pretty, and the mustard dress is just adorable!

Katy said...

Huge families with screeching families are the reason I have to psych myself up to spend time at the Goodwill! I almost always come out with something I like, but I also almost always begin to feel homicidal while I'm there!

I looove the color on that skirt!

miranda.gabriela said...

maybe you can make the cashmere skirt into a drapey-bubble skirt with a little bit of crafty tucking, ala the girls at The Owls Are Not What They Seem!? Or are the pleats too strict for that?

What awesome finds! Thanks for sharing!

anja louise said...

Nice work braving the half off sale. Those things can get crazy! It's unfortunate that so many thrift store patrons are weird and annoying. I think I made a lady mad by not letting her go in front of me in line (me - huge cart, her - a few things). But seriously, if I let everyone who had less stuff go ahead of me, I would have been there all night!

Coco said...

Amazing find! I love the first blue dress. It is simply beautiful!

-Coco

ourpapermoon.blogspot.com

Q's Daydream said...

That 30s dress is wonderful, I'm in love! I love the thing about SA, lol!!! there's a place here where I get so mad, cause crazy ladies actually reach in front of me on the racks and grab stuff. haha

BaronessVonVintage said...

love those dresses!!!

Rebekah @ Shell Blog said...

the cashmere skirt is AMAZING!!! i, too, have a couple of vintage items that i know would work much better with some alterations, but i just can't bring myself to do it b/c they are too beautiful.

sarah said...

Oh, the first blue dress is just to die for. SO gorgeous.

Your description of Salvation Army made me laugh, because it's so familiar and icky - throw in getting followed around the store by creepy men and that's a pretty good description of my experiences, too!

Magnolia said...

I've read your blog for years now and I have enjoyed every single entry except this one.

I think you're fantastic but I really wish you didn't talk about the people at the store that way. They're there because they actually can't afford new clothes. It made me very sad when you referred to them as snot-nosed kids.

I still like your blog very much.

svenskaussie said...

Well done, fab finds. I admire your patience, I hate crowds they make me grumpy. Can't wait to see that riding jacket styled up and looking Betty Draperesque !

the spectator said...

Your mustardy colored dress is a keeper. Worse than having wonky buttons is the fact that someone left the house wearing the dress like that. Talking of irritating people in the op shop - those people who push into exactly where you are looking on the rack and have come from the other side of the shop to do it. Grrr.

Jules said...

Great dress. Love it too. =D

Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Koko chan said...

Oh! I love that first jumper! It is adorable, what a find!

Ashley said...

Love the wool jumper, ít's totally your style! Can't wait to see pics of you in it!

tamara said...

I am in love with the blue coat ... too nice
XXX