12 March 2011

Photography: August Sander

b

This week's photography spotlight comes in the form of August Sander. You may recognize that name as the other photographer that The Sartorialist name checked as a source of his inspiration. I actually didn't realize that fact when I ran across these photos but when I figured it out, thought is was quite a coincidence since I posted about Mike Disfarmer just last week.

August Sander was a German portrait and documentary photographer in the early part of the 20th century. He traveled across small towns of Germany photographing people from all walks of life. His portraits were banned during Nazi rule because they did not adhere to the ideal Aryan type. His most well-known work is Man of the Twentieth Century a book that divides his subjects into seven groups: The Farmer, The Skilled Tradesman, Woman, Classes and Professions, The Artists, The City, and The Last People.

c

17 comments:

Caitlin Rose said...

wow these are truly exquisite photographs. Thank you so much for sharing them.

Fi Fi said...

The Dean Gallery in Edinburgh is currently exhibiting a wealth of his work, admission is free I strongly recommend anyone who can get there to go. It's truly wonderful.

http://kiss--on--the--lips.blogspot.com/

FIFI x

Sara Kristiina said...

Oh, gorgeous photos

Honor said...

I love all of these photos, I really have a thing for photography at the minute so this is great :)

Sarah said...

really like these photographs. non-fussy and simple yet so effective and capturing.

sarah
fashbrickroad.blogspot.com/

eks10 said...

I love, love, love these photos! Where do you find them?

The Creative Bohemian said...

The clarity of the images is pretty amazing for the time. Thanks for sharing his work.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Lovely photography skills, All the pictures are beautiful!

Marja <3

Unknown said...

I love that I can learn something by reading your fashion blog! Keep it up and I'll keep reading!

http://littlemisslovelyvintage.blogspot.com/

amberly said...

I can tell how these can be a source of inspiration :) I love how the women are dressed! Especially in the second photo!

Wow, what a difference between then and now...

Thank you for sharing these! I always look forward to these types of posts!!

Carys said...

These are so beautiful, thanks for sharing! Such amazing work.
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

the snail and the cyclops said...

I'm happy you did a post on him!

I was actually just going through some boxes of stuff I have stashed away in MA and I found a book I picked up at the Getty a few years ago. They had his photos on exhibit when we were there - So good!!!

Alexandra said...

I've really enjoyed your photographer spotlights. Each artist always has such an interesting take on capturing their subjects' personalities. Thanks for such a visually beautiful and thought-provoking blog!

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

I love these pictures! So cool!

Unknown said...

Wow...nice pic...!!! I discovered this, love the dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWMLxrKPZn8

Roxanne Rosensteel said...

You always find the most beautiful old photographs!

c-digg said...

I love them all, but most of all the last one of the two children.