30 September 2008
skirt: vintage (altered by me)
tights: American Apparel
Here are a couple of my recent vintage finds in action. This sweater is simply the softest thing I've ever touched and it was perfect for today's cooler weather. I was inspired to try a new skirt length by Effie. She always looks flawless in those to-the-knee skirts and dresses so when I shortened this one, I just took it up to the knee instead of my usual mid-thigh length. I felt quite lady-like and proper wearing this.
29 September 2008
Here are a few of the items I've picked up over the last couple of weeks that have made their way into my closet.
- This dusty rose cashmere sweater is probably the most luxurious piece I've ever found. It's so super soft and lined in silky lace. The front clasp is a beautiful rhinestone pin and it has little matching rhinestones on the sleeve cuffs. I'm still torn over the fur collar. I would never, ever buy new fur and abhor the fur industry as a whole but it always seems a shame to let vintage pieces go to waste. The collar is actually removable so if I can't deal with the fur, I can always just remove it and still have an amazing cashmere sweater.
- Next is this fitted tweed skirt. I can't even begin to tell you how heavy this skirt is. I had a hard time even keeping it clasped into the hanger to take the photo. It's going to be perfect once the weather really gets cold.
- I'm loving capes at the moment and this one is no exception. It's a nice, delicate alternative to the heavier ones I've been finding.
- My love of hats is only growing stronger by the day. This one is black velvet with a tiny little bow on the side and fine netting that can be pinned up with my hair.
- As soon as I saw this strange little headband I was head over heels. It's black velvet with netting that hangs over my eyes and a horse hair decoration on the side.
- Amongst all of these pretty, feminine finds is a pair of perfectly beat up, broken in Doc Martens. These take me back to high school (yes, I'm that old!). I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull these off with dresses but I've already been enjoying wearing them with my skinny jeans.
28 September 2008
This Friday the boyfriend and I will be packing up and heading to NYC for a long weekend adventure. We plan on wandering around the city at our own pace with no big plans or agenda. Just the way we like it. Besides tickets to see Nick Cave on Saturday night, we don't have any solid plans. If you live in NYC or have visited recently and have any recommendations on where to go or what to see, I'd love it hear it. We've done all the cheesy-fun touristy stuff before so I'm more interested in hearing an insider's perspective on what we should be on the lookout for. In particular any great vintage shops, gallery shows, vegetarian restaurants or quiet, dark bars. We'll be staying in Chelsea each night and sticking to Manhattan during the day. Help a sister out! Thanks!
26 September 2008
Perhaps you've noticed the little flash banner over on the right side of the page inviting you to join Modepass. If you haven't checked it out yet, what are you waiting for? ;) It's a new community for fashion lovers, made by fashion lovers. All of our favorite Paris fashion bloggers got together and developed this idea. It's really quite brilliant.
Once you join you can set up your own page, make your own banner, put up your own wallpaper - in other words you can really make your page your own. They have a space for videos, photos, articles, and groups you can join. Honestly they have so many facets, I'm still discovering things to do on the site!
Fortunately, unlike some other sites, this one is set up in such a way that fosters making new friends and enjoying one another's style. It's free of the competitive nature that you can find on other style sites. So... get on over to Modepass, set up your page and start making friends!
25 September 2008
Ninety-nine percent of the time I'm happy with the decision to leave LA and settle down in Pennsylvania. Then something like this pops up and I find myself wishing I was still in lala land! It seems that Beth from The Vintage Society is having a trunk show this Saturday in Silverlake. We all know that Beth is always outfitted in the best vintage finds, so I can only imagine what her stash looks like. Must be amazing! If you're in the area, it's one of those can't miss events. Have fun and let us know what you bought!
I'm feeling a bit broken hearted this morning. If you look verrryyy closely in every one of my photos you'll notice a small silver bracelet on my right wrist. It's not a fancy, expensive bracelet but it was my very favorite thing. It's been on my wrist for about seven years, every day, 24 hours a day. Yesterday afternoon I looked down while I was making lunch and realized it was no longer there. I searched everywhere I could think but by the time I noticed it was missing I'd already been out running errands and it could be anywhere in a ten mile radius. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never see it again. I have to say, I feel quite naked without it.
24 September 2008
(If you see something you like, click to see it a bit bigger)
22 September 2008
photos by Tom b.
60's sweater cape: vintage
mini gladstone bag: vintage
Friday night my boyfriend and I walked downtown to have dinner. It was finally cool enough to wear this sweater cape that's been hanging in my closet for weeks. Yay!
21 September 2008
(Cafe Mode, Hel Looks, Face Hunter, Style Sightings)
19 September 2008
I don't have much time to write today so instead I'm going to leave you with tons of pictures upon which to gaze. London Fashion Week has come and gone and I have to admit that I enjoyed it more that NYFW. Now onto Milan and then Paris! (You can find a schedule for all of the shows here.) Here are a few of my favorite looks from London:
(Temperley London, Peter Jensen, Luella, Mulberry, Jaeger London, Charles Anastase)
Overall I'd have to say that I'm leaning towards Eley Kishimoto as my favorite collection. Sometimes it veers a bit into Lolita territory and don't even ask me what those aboriginal lizards were doing in the middle of the collection but when they keep to simple silhouettes with hints of mod and art deco, I'm a fan. Here are my picks from the collection.
18 September 2008
skirt: vintage (altered by me)
I was feeling extra lady-like today and wanted to wear gloves with this outfit but didn't have any that I thought matched. I'll have to put that on my list of things to look out for. This skirt is one of several that I found at a thrift store and altered by cutting several inches off the hem. I prefer my skirts a bit on the shorter side to keep my outfits from becoming too granny-costume. I was surprised at just how many stares and comments I got about my hat. I guess people don't wear hats out very much any more. Just imagine if I'd been wearing gloves as well!
17 September 2008
16 September 2008
I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Sally Jane Vintage staff, Captain Jack. Jack was a stray that was picked up by a kind stranger and dropped off at the local Humane League shelter. He was in pretty bad shape from his time living on the street but the people at the shelter gave him lots of care and kept him for several months while he recovered. As of Sunday he has a new home with us. He may only have one ear and one eye but he's got a keen sense of fashion and loves to help while I take photos.
- With a patterned vest like this one, you can layer it over a solid basic like a little black dress and let it be your pop of color. A belt wrapped around the waist gives this look a little shape.
- Sadly, the subtleties of this pairing have been lost in the photo. I've paired the vest with a herringbone skirt and a tiny polka dot blouse. Not that you can tell. I was trying to demonstrate mixing patterns and textures but the details just didn't show up. Well, I guess you'll have to use your imaginations on this one! ;)
- A vest is always a sure thing paired with jeans. My basic skinny jeans and favorite tee become a little something more when layer with the vest.
- I also like to wear it with a pair of wide leg jeans and a little boy's button down. With the wide leg of the jean, I like the shrunken fit of a little boy's shirt to keep the proportions in check.
15 September 2008
dress: vintage (thanks Rhiannon!)
When I saw this dress in Rhiannon's store I knew it had to be mine. The cut of the dress, the black and white checks, the pretty little rhinestone buttons. It was love at first sight. I finally got around to taking the hem up a couple of inches just in time to wear it on this beautiful, windy day.
14 September 2008
J. Mendel, Barbara Tfank, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Abaete, Rebecca Taylor, Karen Walker