07 November 2008

What I'm Wearing

PhotobucketPhotobucket

blouse: H&M
sweater: H&M
skirt: vintage (altered by me)
tights: AA
shoes: vintage
hat: vintage

From time to time I get tagged with one of those "me-me's" where you're supposed to make a list about yourself. I almost never get around to them (sorry!) because as much as I like a good t0-do list, I'm terrible at making lists about myself. I have three lists started that I never finished! So... rather than let them sit unseen on my computer, I figured I'd share what I came up with so far.

Things I Like:

  • Rummaging around in thrift stores. I can, and do, spend hours at a time picking through each and every pieces of clothing and knick-knack in thrift stores. Often people ask to go thrifting with me and I warn them that it could take hours. I don’t think they really believe me and they usually get bored about 30 minutes into the whole deal.
  • Being by myself. This sort of relates to #1. I find it meditative to be by myself at the thrift store, digging through racks of clothes. But I also like to do things like take long walks by myself, going out to eat by myself and going to the movies by myself. I once went to see 28 Days Later by myself and ending up being the only person in the theater. Super creepy! I don’t do this much anymore since I really enjoy the company of my boyfriend. I suppose it’s quite different choosing to be alone than being alone because you have no choice.
  • This is a brand new addition to the list. Wii Fitness! We visited friends last weekend that have it and I was instantly hooked. Can I just say that I’m awesome at Wii Hoola Hoop? Thank you, thank you. One of my prouder accomplishments. Although I have to admit I was a bit bummed that my Wii age ended up being 11 years older than my real age. Guess I have some work to do!

Things I Don't Like:

  • Elevators. I think it’s mainly the closed in space that I don’t like. Whenever I step into an elevator I instantly feel like everyone is breathing my air. I’ll usually opt to take the stairs whenever possible although I have gotten used to riding the elevator in the building where I live (I think that’s because I’m usually the only person in it).
  • Other people doing my laundry. I’m super particular about my clothes (no surprise there, right?) and I don’t like for anyone else to do my laundry. Certain things don’t go in the dryer or need to be dried flat or need to hang to dry. Some people stuff too many things in the washer at once and it makes me crazy. I’d just rather do it myself. Even though we have a washer and dryer in our apartment, my boyfriend and I always do our laundry separately.
  • Sushi. I really, really wish I liked sushi (the vegetarian kind at least). It’s just so cute and bite sized! I love to look at all the little rolls lined up and the sushi dishes are always so adorable. Even back when I still ate fish I tried eating it many times thinking this will be the time that I love it. Nope! Not even a little bit.

Odd Things About Me:

  • I read magazine backwards, that is from back to front. For some reason I always start at the last page and flip to the front. I even find myself reading the last paragraph of an article and then skimming to the beginning. It’s a terrible habit. Some sort of compulsion that I can’t seem to shake. I’ll even do it to books if I’m not careful. Sometimes I have to paperclip the last few pages of a book together to keep myself from spoiling the end by peeking before I’m done reading.
  • I always have to put on my left shoe and sock first. If I accidentally put the right one on first without thinking, I have to take it off and start again. If not, I’ll feel strangely crooked all day. I’ve noticed that this practice is spreading to things like gloves, earrings and anything else that comes in pairs.
  • I don’t know if this really counts as being odd, but being from the South I have several expressions I use on a regular basis that frequently garner strange looks. For instance, I call shopping carts “buggies” and winter caps “toboggans” (or just "boggans" for short). I call fingernail clippers “snips” and often say things like “fixin’ to” and “might could”. And when someone’s taking my photo I’ll say I’m “getting my picture made”.

37 comments:

LadyRed said...

I have the same problem when my husband goes thrifting with me. He usually ends up in the car waiting and when I get back the first thing he says is, "do you know how long you were in there?" I say the same thing as you... "I warned you!" And being around people all the time is overrated... I love to be by myself too.

Anonymous said...

you are so pretty and always has such cute clothes.

AlicePleasance said...

I go to the movies alone too, I started doing it when I was at the University and studying cinema I went to the movies at least 3/4 times per week (except for festival, where I usually saw 4/5 per day!), often by myself. Now that I'm living in a small town it seems here cinema is only for couples and only on friday/saturday evenings, so when I went seeing Sex&TheCity I was the only person in the theater...I felt like a princess. Odd, I know!

Anonymous said...

I always read the last page of a book first. you never REALLY know exactly whats going on from just that last page but it makes you wonder the whole time you're reading the book.
it drives my boyfriend nuts that I do that. He thinks it's a spoiler.

Violet Folklore said...

I read magazines backwards too, always have.
The 2nd picture of you walking into the door is so gorgeous.
(My two-year-old daughter is sitting on my lap and just looked up at the screen and said "That's cute Mom").

h. said...

Your clothes are - of course - awesome, and I love seeing what you're wearing.

I think I may love seeing the locations you shoot in more. Probably just the Anthropologie catalog lover in me.

Thanks for your blog.

Ashleigh said...

gorgeous photos ...you look really great

Lexie said...

i am from tennessee and use all those silly phrases/words as well!

i also read things back to front fairly regularly .. i'm especially bad about ruining the ending of books!

Meaghan Kelly said...

my friends have frequently made fun of me for going to movies alone.
it can be so therapeutic to spend good quality time with yourself.

you sound like someone i would get along great with. :)

i like your list of odd things. its cute.

Johanne M. Aa. Laache said...

That was really interesting, I love how people are able to share things about themselves on the internet, things that are cute, awkvard, embarrasing and funny. I especially liked the part where you wrote about how you like to choose to be by yourself; I know how it is, but it is so often mistaken. I am not lonely at all when I choose it myself :)

xox, Jo

Secondhand Stella said...

I also read magazines backwards and always flip to the ends of books before I am done reading. I have spoiled so many stories that way!

Elevators also scare me! I have nightmares about them sometimes.

jenscloset said...

I love thrift shopping, and now that I have a vintage shop, I have more of an excuse to shop! I love your blog and the interesting info about you--and love your outfit!

Anonymous said...

I'm a longtime reader (love it!), never commented before, though. Where did you take those pictures? Another abandoned building? I'm just imagining people watching this woman, apparently dressed for church, lol, go in and out of an abandoned building, ha! That's awesome that you do that, and it makes for great pictures!

Merily said...

You look stunning.
And you're such and interesting person! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a long-time reader of your blog and I love it! You find the most amazing vintage pieces, I think you must have some kind of good thrifting karma!

I do the same thing with books and my bf haaaates it. lol And I also like to go to the movies by myself!

christina said...

I totally feel you on the reading the magazine backwards. Actually in general I sort through things backwards. In clothing racks, instead of starting at the end closest to me, I always start at whatever I designate as the "end" in my head. Mags are totally the same too.

Btw love your outfit. It's incredibly soft and light.

Anonymous said...

i used to be really good at being alone a lot, but being in college its different, you're always around people and then when suddenly all your friends disappear for the weekend you find yourself incapable of being alone, well at least i'm discovering that for the first time this weekend, we'll see how it goes again

i wish i ate sushi, its so healthy, but i loathe fish

Meaghan Kelly said...

i already commented on this post, I just wanted to say thank you for your super sweet words with regards to my kitty!
:)

xo

mallory said...

I do the same thing with putting things on left first, I also have to start up stairs with my left foot. I also like to look at the last page of a magazine first. If the book I am reading is a mystery/suspense/thriller, I tend to look at the back page to see if the character I love that is in mortal danger can make it to the end alive. I can't help it.

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

I LOVE the wii fit hula hoop game!!

Simone said...

*holds hand up to reading a magazine backwards*

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with these neuroses! Ha!

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with these neuroses! Ha!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I just love the "retro" clothes you wear. No matter what it is you're wearing it always looks fashionable. I wanted to say that I too, like to do things by myself, movies, shopping, etc. For me it's a time to get in touch with myself.

Jenni said...

I love WiiFit! I am a calorie incinerator on that hula hoop, I'm telling you.
I don't like going thrifting with other people because I know they will get bored and make me feel like I need to hurry, and I can't help but feel like I'll miss out on something amazing if I hurry.

lisa lindøe said...

so wonderful photos and such a gorgeous outfit.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Sally Jane. :)
I really love your dress style : it's so ... retro pretty !
I went through your Ebay Store and I wonder : how buy your clothes if I'm French ? Do I pay with Euros ?

Thanks for your answer.

Bird.

Lauren said...

i really like being by myself too! i guess its an only child thing for me. I love having friends, but i CANT be around ppl 24/7. i love taking walks by myself and shopping by myself! and ive been to a movie by myself too ;)

Anonymous said...

Love your outfit photos, lovely setting!
x

april said...

no one ever tags me for those things... such a shame.
those photos are so beautiful! what a great location! I love the piles of peeling paint in that one photo!

Eyeliah said...

vintage and h&m, sounds like my favorite clothes. :-)

The Fab Miss B said...

Its so fun to hear some of these details about you-the gal behind those great outfits and pics.

T-Bonz said...

I am constantly told that it is weird that I read magazines from the back. I am not sure why I do it either -- I don't read in Japanese and have never read the Torah...so I am at a loss as to how/why i started. All the good stuff is in the back! (or is that just because I love horoscopes and crosswords?)

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

let me just say, if you referred to a "shopping cart" as a "buggy" in my presence, it wouldn't phase me in the slightest.

Fashion Trend Guide said...

I read magazines backwards, too! Since they always place ads in the front, all the best content is towards the end. I also got in the habit from reading Japanese magazines, which are printed "backwards."

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same habit of reading magazines backwards! It's cool to know I'm not the only one who does that. Whenever I'm with friends, I start flipping through magazines and they're just like 'Why are you reading it backwards? You're weird.'

indigorchid said...

Oooh.. I spent a year in Alabama, and I would hear "fixin' to" and "do what?" and "buggy" all year - so nice to be reminded of that! Hmm.. maybe I should go for a visit and see if I can't find some good thrift finds!