25 March 2009

Fantasy Birthday Shopping

For me, my birthday has always been a great harbinger of spring. Falling just a couple of days after the official start of the season it brings with it red breasted robins, daffodils and dogwoods, sunny blue skies and afternoon rain showers. Well, not so much this year. I’m still adjusting to living in the northeast and the idea that spring doesn’t really begin just because the calendar says so. I’m still waking up to temperatures with wind chills in the teens. Ugh.

Well, regardless of spring’s stubbornness to show its face, I’m still thinking about spring things like pretty sundresses and strappy sandals. I don’t usually torture myself by looking at things online that I know I could never afford but I thought it might be fun to go on a little fantasy shopping trip. You know, make an outfit that would be my ultimate spring wear if only I could muster the doll hairs to afford it. The only problem is, as I began collecting pictures of things I liked this little project grew into two outfits, then three, four, five, six! Apparently there’s a lot of good stuff out there I never really bother to look at. ;) So… if I hit the jackpot tomorrow there’s a good chance that all of these would be hanging in my closet by the end of the week.

a
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs top, Luella skirt, Chie Mihara shoes, Linda Farrow sunglasses 2. APC dress, Chloe bag, Anthropologie shoes 3. See by Chloe dress, Marc Jacobs hat, Anthropologie shoes
b
4. Lover dress, Mui Mui headband, Topshop shoes 5. Steven Alan dress, Rayban sunglasses, Topshop shoes, vintage Gladstone bag 6. APC dress, Lover hat, Topshop shoes

27 comments:

Hannah said...

Haha, I love the label on this post. I'd really like a boater too, not sure if I'd wear it though. And Gladstones never fail to catch my eye!

Anonymous said...

LOVE ALL the outfits you put together! Esp the See by Chloe + Steven Alan dresses, as well as all the shoes, mmm-mmm.

sioux said...

OMGeeeee! Yes, I'd snatch outfits up in a heartbeat.

Q's Daydream said...

Oh my! All those dresses are wonderful! Living in the NE I know just how you're feeling darlin'!

Anonymous said...

You have such a flair for putting beautiful outfits together! I love all your choices!

Amelia said...

Dang, I love all of those. I was hoping you meant a very small jackpot, but, unforutunately, this stuff actually is rather expensive. Well, keep buying lottery tickets.

Imelda said...

Happy belated birthday!
I want everything in this post!

Anonymous said...

i like clothes like this too.

LissyLou said...

oooohhhhhh!! fab!

{Tara} said...

I am loving the boater hats! The navy sundress is perfect, too.

text machine said...

Vero Moda makes a tank top just like that little white Marc one. I almost bought it this weekend and I think it was like $25. might be worth a look.

Tea Lady said...

That Steve Allen dress is amazing. Albeit very expensive! I'm saving for a pair of Ray Ban's also. I want the polarized ones... so its a save...

Lexie said...

the tag for this post made me giggle.

i LOVE the see by chloe line. the patchwork tank keri russel wore in instyle ... so cute.

Maki said...

hi! i've been following your blog for a little while now...and i love your style!

like you i've also been looking out for boaters. i just checked the topshop website, and they are selling the basic straw boater for $40. topshop is opening in new york city on april 2 (i think), but the site already has an american chapter. i'll be visiting that topshop soon, even if it's just to try the hat on!

erin said...

love the apc dress,lover hat and shoes combo!

Penny said...

the hats are to die for!! i so want a boater

MOUSEVOX VINTAGE said...

one of my closest friends' birthdays is this weekend and she actually said to me this week while we were driving somewhere that she always gets excited when she see daffodils because it reminds her of her birthday. this reminded me of that.

50sgal said...

The blue wedges and the brown lace ups would be me fine here in 1955. Nice pics, I also like the doctor bag.

Anonymous said...

#1 I am costuming a production of the Music Man and have to order Straw Boaters in bulk. If you dont wind up getting one on your own - let me know and I shall mail one to you as belated birthday gift!

#2 I got my Etsy dress today and I am IN LOVE WITH IT! I will send you a link to my blog as soon as i wear it! THANK YOU!!!

The Stylish Wanderer said...

OH I loved these two sets! Especially the MJ red straw hat.

Josephine Frances said...

These are such lovely outfits! I like dreaming about 'what I would buy ifs' too...

Unknown said...

You picked out some lovely things for your fantasy birthday! I like to look at things I'll never afford so that I can try to copy them later... and I have always associated daffodils with my birthday, at least in Georgia they always come out just in time to wish me a happy one! My favorite flower by far :~)

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thank you so much for all of your comments and your birthday wishes!

text machine: Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to check it out.

Maki: Thanks! I looked at the site and that’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ll have to put that on my wishlist.

Meghann: Wow, thanks! I’ll be sure to keep that in mind. I can’t wait to see photos of your dress!

Anonymous said...

oh i would love to own that gladstone bag!

sarah said...

Oh! What size shoe do you wear? I have a pair of red little heels in my shop that look super similar to the Anthro heels - if they fit you, they're yours!

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Aww, Sarah! That's so sweet of you. I wear a 6.5 or 7. Thanks!

Tracy said...

amazing outfits. i especially love the two lover dresses and the steven alan in the last pics. i'm gonna save these and try to figure out how to make them! sneaky, sneaky.