13 April 2009

Surprise Date Night

Early last week Tom mentioned to me that we had plans for Friday night but he wouldn't say where we were going - a surprise date! All he would tell me was to be ready to go at 4:30. My guess was dinner and a movie because that’s our usual routine but I knew something was amiss when we got onto the highway towards Philadelphia. Hmmm… perhaps he had discovered some amazing vegetarian restaurant in Philly? That thought was dashed when we pulled into the parking lot of the local Baja Fresh. Don’t get me wrong – I do love me some Baja and I don’t think I’ve had any since we left LA but I couldn’t imagine why we’d driven an hour to eat there. I think I devoured my veggie bare burrito in record time and wondered what was in store for us next.

After dinner we drove through a beautiful old neighborhood and ended up parking next to a quaint shopping district scattered with clothing stores and restaurants. It was such a nice night out I thought a little strolling around the shops would be just the thing to do. But when we got to the corner, Tom stopped, turned to me and asked if I had figured out what we were doing yet. I looked around and saw an old timey theater. Ah, so we were going to a movie after all. A movie called… Neko Case?! You can’t even imagine my excitement. I’ve been singing along to Neko songs nearly everyday since the last album came out and I’d memorized all the others long before that.

The show itself was amazing. I’m notoriously bored by opening acts but I really enjoyed Crooked Fingers. It wasn’t long before Neko and the band took the stage. There was lots of kooky stage banter among them throughout the show. Neko sounded pitch perfect - not a sour note all night. If you're a fan at all and have the chance to see her, I can't recommend it enough. All in all, it was a perfect date night! (Collage by Tom b.)
DateNight

17 comments:

PinkBow said...

how very thoughtful of him! does he have a brother? :)

dani said...

how cute! What a great bf you have!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a perfect night out! I think you're very lucky to have such a thoughtful boyfriend ;)

Meaghan Kelly said...

your hubby sounds absolutely positively romantic in the best possible way!
what a wonderful surprise!

corrie said...

Aw, that's awesome. I love that he surprised you.

I had the pleasure of seeing her live a couple summers back in Central Park, it was amaaaazing. It never ceases to amaze me how that woman can belt it out.

AlicePleasance said...

That's THE surprise date indeed!!

Lexie said...

awwww!!!! :) what a sweet guy!

Anonymous said...

omg that sounds amazing! I love Neko and totally jealous about both the concert and your amazing boyfriend, how did you two meet?

Penny said...

awww how sweet!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky! I wish I could see Neko too.I love her last album.

Eyeliah said...

What a lovely surprise!

reckless daughter said...

Imagine my surprise...I'm in the middle of middle cyclone (Magpie in the Morning to be exact) it's been on repeat at work all day :)

I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

that sounds so lovely, you lucky thing

Sally Jane Vintage said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments! We both had a lot of fun.

PinkBow: Ha, ha. Yes, he has a very-married-with-two-kids brother. Sorry! :)

Corrie: How lucky you are! Yes, she can really belt it can't she?

jayne: We met when he moved to Alabama for a short time. He had signed a band from Alabama to the label where he worked and I was friends with the band. That's the long story short version.

Tahda: Me too! She sang that song and it was really lovely.

allison said...

tom is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I live Right near the Keswick Theatre and didn't know Neko Case was there! So jealous! I'm glad you had a good time, though! (Obviously).

Did you go to the Baja Fresh in Montgomeryville?

Unknown said...

Neko Case is enjoyable.